The United States ranks 27th in math, 20th in science, 17th in educational performance, 24th in literacy, 54th in education expenditures (as % of GDP), 15th in college graduation rates, and 18th in reading against the rest of the world. Our homes and classrooms lack infrastructure capabilities as the US ranks 33rd in internet speeds and access. There was a recent study of the top 14 countries in the world polling high school students against current events and country demographics with the US finishing next to last (thank you Italy). We have so many issues with our educational system the biggest challenge is figuring out where to begin.
But luckily for America these decisions can wait. President Obama just did the unthinkable…he directed transgender students to use whatever bathroom they identify with. So on top of the myriad of problems our educational system faces, we can now add the apocalypse to the list. #ThanksObama
So before my readers blast into a quagmire of twisted logic and red herrings let me point out several blatantly obvious facts.
- Transgender students are very rare. Recent research state that only .3% of all 30+ year old adults (3 in 1000) are transgender and some studies conclude the odds of children being openly transgender are as low as 1 in 30,000.
- Boys will not walk into a girl’s bathroom under the guise of being transgender. Claiming to be transgender is not a temporary circumstance. Transgender citizens change their ID cards, reflect their gender through dress, and are very consistent with personal identity. Such dishonest behaviors should be met with strict consequences.
- My 12 year old daughter will not see a penis in a school bathroom (yes, this was actually used toward my wife as an argument by a member). Just think how that’s even possible. Girl’s bathrooms have stalls, not urinals. It’s also a safe assumption that any student claiming to be transgender is extremely self-conscience given their likely rejection by peers and will retreat to privacy.
- Several states, school districts, and corporations have adopted their own policies affirming transgender people’s right to use the bathroom that aligns with their gender identity. None have reported any problems.
- Courts have already made rulings on transgender kids and adults using corresponding restrooms in schools and public places. Obviously President Obama overshadowed the judicial branch with his directive, but litigation has already ensued and President Obama is following precedent.
- States have full control over their education curriculum and standards. Common core was not implemented by the Department of Education, but by state governments. States can reject the Executive Branch's directive on transgender students and lose federal funding, which is roughly 9% of educational budgets.
As the father to four daughters enrolled in public schools I have many concerns about the environment they are being subjected to. Like any good parent I want them to be safe and avoid harmful situations that can be abusive or hostile. I also want them to be studious, challenged by their peers and instructors, and develop critical thinking skills to see through these disingenuous arguments. The odds are high my kids will never meet a transgender student in their young academic years. The odds are even higher they will learn math skills at a level substandard to other competitive nations. Which one do you think I care more about?
REMEMBER: More conservative United States Senators have been arrested for sexual misconduct in bathrooms than transgender students.— MATTY ICE (@MattyIceAZ) May 19, 2016
Showing 2 reactions
Sign in with
I have a daughter that is autistic and non communicative. Do you really think I should be comfortable having males in the bathroom with her? You act as if no child ever gets sexually assaulted in restrooms. You write as if transgendered people are so perfect that they have never committed a sex crime. In a country and a state where we have had school teachers molest children? Where sexting scandals have happened at schools? Where peeping toms have used bathrooms as a location to perform their devious acts? Where the porn industry and Hollywood have glorified the idea of getting free looks or worse in restrooms of the opposite sex? You made the statement that there is no reports of problems where people are allowed to use the restroom that they identify with. This is simply not true. There are reports but they get hammered for reporting it. One example happened when a lady wasn’t comfortable having to dress in front of a man at a gym and the gym kicked her out. I hate to break it to you but all things sexual are under-reported because of the nature of the problems. The progressive democrat party is willing to destroy the stability and the safety of the restroom as you have said for around .03% of the population.
I watched as one gender fluid individual said he felt erased because he couldn’t use the wrong bathroom. This makes me wonder what is going on with this young man. In a nation where we try to instill a sense of self worth in every young person why are we feeding these peoples insecurities. Does he spend his entire day in the bathroom? Does the few minutes spent in the bathroom negate the rest of the day where he spends the majority of his time? Wouldn’t it be better to help them have better self esteem and let the 50-54% of the population (women) who aren’t confused about their identity be comfortable the time they spend in the rest room?
Critical thinking would say that we don’t make the majority of America uncomfortable for .03% of the population. This would be the dictatorship of the minority. It turns critical thinking and commonsense on its head. America is a very accommodating country we are willing to work through many issues but this one is so naive as be cruel.